You could make a pretty solid case for Recess being the best cartoon of the 90s. It was funny, intelligent, and with characters like Miss Grotke, it was woke.
I think most of Miss Grotke’s wise words and quips went over our heads as kids, or at least they did for me. But looking back, she’s one of the most aware and feminist characters we were exposed to…and that’s a wonderful thing.
These are some of Miss Grotke’s best moments.
1. When she ignored societal demands to shave her legs.
2. When she taught her students that we are all connected.
3. When she used the word feminism in a fourth grade class.
4. When she acknowledged that not everyone identifies as a man or a woman.
5. When she made a valid point about the Founding Fathers.
6. When she did not hold back when following curriculum, no matter how male-oriented it was.