These days, they just don’t make teen movies like they used to back in the 90s. Yes, they were usually cheesy, and the characters made some questionable life and fashion choices, but they often had useful messages to convey, and gave us celebrities to crush on.
Over the years, we have all re-watched these movies multiple times, and can quote a lot of the lines ( “Do you prefer fashion victim or ensembly challenged?” Anyone?). But no matter how many times you’ve seen a movie or Googled the cast, there are still some interesting, and at times wild, facts you still don’t know about them.
Here are 16 tidbits from some of the best teen movies from the 90s:
1. Instead of Adrian Grenier, Elijah Wood was supposed to star alongside Melissa Joan Hart in Drive Me Crazy. He didn’t get the role because they thought he looked too young.
2. Mila Jovovich met Shawn Andrews on the set of their movie Dazed and Confused, and became a bride at 16 after they eloped.
3. And the cast drank real beer for most of the scenes.
4. 10 Things I Hate About You was inspired by Shakespeare’s The Taming Of The Shrew, and the title is supposed to sound somewhat similar to the play.
5. Wild Things originally featured a scene where Matt Dillon and Kevin Bacon showered together.
6. She’s All That was filmed at the same high school as Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
7. Marilyn Manson had a cameo in Jawbreaker because he was dating one of the stars, Rose McGowan.
8. In Election, Mathew Broderick is actually urinating in the “peeing in the woods” scene that takes place in Linda’s yard.
Wait until to find out what made Ryan Phillipe throw up on the set of Cruel Intentions…