Pop Culture

Why Do Slots Bring More Money to the Casino Than Other Games?

Giving and receiving are parts of any business. Casinos sell gambling entertainment to the customers and make a certain profit based on it. The unique thing is that the player can walk out of the casino with more money than upon entering, and it shows that casinos can withstand these kinds of situations thanks to the gambling system on which casino games operate. This system basically does the math and makes sure that a certain percentage of bets is retained by the house but also makes sure that a certain percent is given to the player. The casino makes a profit thanks to the House Edge, while it pays players based on the RTP (return to player percentage). It is important to know that each game includes a different house edge and RTP values.

What Is Casino House Edge?

The house edge is what makes a gamble. If the player losses the bet, the casino keeps the wagered amount. So, the total won amount is what the casino holds after each player has paid its bet. This amount can be negative, meaning that players have won bets rather than losing. In most cases, this amount is positive. For example, the player has bet 1,000$, but only 800$ have returned. This means that the casino now holds a profit of 200$. The house edge percent can be calculated by dividing the retained amount by the total wager. In this case, 200/1000= 20% house edge. Theoretically, the 20% house edge is considered high, and it is advised to stick to the games with lower percent. The higher the house edge percent, the bigger is the casino’s profit.

What Is RTP?

As the house edge determines how much money the casino will make, the return to the player percent shows a theoretical value of the total wagered amount that should pay-back to the players. However, this doesn’t mean that this percent will pay out during a single session, but rather the machine pays it for a certain period of time. This means that one shouldn’t expect to receive back the stated RTP amount right away. The machine will eventually pay the RTP amount over some time.

For example, the game’s RTP is 96%, and you wager 100$. Theoretically, 96$ of the total amount should return to the players in the long run.

Casino Games & Casino Profit

Now that you know what house edge and RTP values stand for, it is easy to understand why slots bring more money to the casino than other games. Slot machines are, without exception, part of every casino. There are many reasons why both players and casinos adore them. Every casino includes its unique games, but most of them feature Blackjack, Poker, Roulette, and slots. Even though there are dozens of games besides slots, video games like 88 Fortunes slot machine make 50% and more of the total casino’s revenue.

The casino has a built-in advantage in all of the games except for poker and blackjack. There are different versions of roulette games, and they come with different house edge percentages. Since you can bet either on 18 red or 18 black spots, the house pays 50/50 or even money bets. However, a roulette game can include 38 spots, which means that the player no longer has a 50% chance of winning the bet, but rather 47.4%. It is easy to calculate that the casino’s advantage, in this case, is 2.6%.

When talking about poker and blackjack games, the casino makes a profit by acting as a middleman. The casino either takes the Rake (percent of each pot) or charges a certain amount per hour played.

Slots are the real profit centers in casinos. They are highly-entertaining and easy to use for most people. To score the payout, it is required to land a valid paytable combination. Just press the “spin” button and check your odds right away. You cannot beat the game, except land the highest paying combo or win a Jackpot game. The game lasts until you stop betting on it. Here are the reasons why slots generate the most profit for casinos:


One can check numerous slot games in a casino. The game portfolio is based on the casino’s partnership with certain software providers, so one might include Microgaming and the other NetEnt’s slot games, for example. Not long ago, slot games were retro-themed and rarely included special symbols, game features, and bonuses. Today, almost every slot game that is not intentionally retro-made comes with breathtaking graphics, innovative theme designs, and entertaining gameplay. Instead of visiting a land-based casino, one can also check slots games online by signing up for online casinos. Also, many online casinos offer bonuses that are attached to slots like free spins and free money.

Thanks to all of this, slots have experienced a huge rise in popularity recently. Another thing that adds up to the slot’s resume is that the results are instant, and people love instant results! Just hit the button, wait for the reels to stop, and you instantly see whether you won or lost the bet. Now, the math is easy. The more people visit a casino to play a certain slot game, the higher revenue is generated through slots. Since many are attracted to slot machines, it is easy to conclude that their popularity is a huge factor for the overall casino’s profit.

Winning Odds

Casinos love slot games because of their high house edge percentages. Among gambling games, slots include the highest house edge percentages. It can range from 1% to 10%, but in most cases, the percentage favours the casino. Most of the money made from slots is held by the casino thanks to the gambling system that these games operate on. When one party losses, the other party wins. Since the casino is at the winning part of the deal, players statistically often leave the casino with a negative total amount. This means that one has wagered more money than received it back.

However, most of the players are not informed enough on this topic and pay no mind to it. A player can also be easily tricked into thinking that he is winning while, in reality, he is losing. This is due to the shiny slot machines that are prone to social-engineering and their loud winning sound effects.

As for the RTP value, slots range from 90-97%. However, this is only a theoretical statement that says- slots pay back 90-97% of the wagered money to players. Nevertheless, speaking from the player’s perspective, you should aim for the games with lower house edge and higher RTPs.

Top RTP Slot Machines

The RTP above 97% is considered high. Here are some of the games with high RTP values:

  1. Mega Joker by NetEnt with up to 99% RTP
  2. Jackpot 6000 by NetEnt with up to 98.8% RTP
  3. 1429 Uncharted Seas by Thunderkick with 98.6% RTP
  4. Blood Suckers by NetEnt with 98% RTP
  5. Starmania by Nextgen- with 97.87%
  6. Kings Of Chicago by NetEnt with 97.8% RTP
  7. Devil’s Delight by NetEnt with 97.6% RTP
  8. Retro Reels Extreme Heat by Microgaming with 97.5%
  9. Simsalabim by NetEnt with 97.5% RTP
  10. Jack Hammer 2 by NetEnt with 97.1% RTP