Table tennis is one of those things that has faded from the mainstream, but there’s no denying how beneficial it can be. The sport offers many physical, mental, and emotional benefits — but does that mean you should buy your own table?
If you’re trying to decide whether to get a ping pong table for your home or if you’re stuck choosing between a new or retro table, this article should help clear up a few things so you can more easily decide.
Benefits of Having Your Own Ping Pong Table
Ping pong is a sport that brings many delightful benefits to the table, no matter your age, size, or physical fitness. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of having your own ping pong table below:
Numerous Health Benefits at Your Fingertips
As a physically active sport, there’s no denying that table tennis is a sport that literally keeps you on your toes. Having your very own table allows you access to all of these benefits as long as you make a regular habit out of playing the game.
- Since ping pong is a fast-paced sport, playing regularly allows you to sharpen your reflexes and your ability to coordinate your body to match your quick decisions.
- Because you’re always on your feet and trying to make sure you return the ball to score (or prevent your opponent from scoring), you’re also burning a lot of calories.
- While you reposition yourself quickly for every shot, you’re working your muscles and building up your balance. If you’re not particularly athletic, you can begin to develop your hand-eye coordination over time.
- Ping pong helps you improve your focus since you drown everything else out around you while you focus on the ball. Many say this sport helps them destress, decompress, and get through creative blocks.
Compared to other sports, table tennis tends to be safer because the risk for injury is reduced — especially since you don’t need to be running around as much. As long as you keep proper form, this sport tends to be gentler on your joints than other more intense sports like tennis or badminton.
Fun for Family and Friends
Table tennis is a sport for up to four people, which means you can have fun with your family and friends whenever you choose. If you have an indoor table, it’s even easier to enjoy the sport no matter what the weather outside may be.
As a social sport, ping pong can bring people together in the spirit of fun and friendly competition. This activity can be fun during family or friend gatherings and can even be the focus of such parties.
You Can Also Play Alone
Table tennis is a sport that you can also play alone. If you have a table that folds up, you can put one side up to bounce your ball off it. Alternatively, you can put one end of the wall against a table and play that way. It won’t always be as fun or as interactive, but if you’re just looking for a bit of exercise and a way to unwind, it could be a great way to turn off your brain for a little while.
Buy a New or Old Table?
New tables are great for people looking for options that are more likely to be full of features or lightweight, portable, and great for limited spaces. There’s no doubt that newer tables are often built from modern materials that offer ultra-portability or durability.
That doesn’t mean you should count retro ping pong tables out just yet — they’re certainly still viable, and many might even find them to be a treasure trove find.
Vintage tables might be better for larger spaces since many aren’t foldable. Many of them may also be made of heavier materials, making them harder to move around. However, if you can get past that, you might find that:
- Older tables are often built like a tank, using excellent materials like hardwood.
- The right table may just last you a lifetime, making it a more sustainable purchase that’s kinder to the environment.
- Beautiful vintage tables often tend to be conversation pieces that draw plenty of attention in your home.
- Depending on the deal you find, you might just get away with a steal.
Just because your table is old doesn’t mean that your paddles have to be — you can always use new, modern equipment with your retro table.
What’s The Best Ping Pong Table to Buy?
There’s no single answer to this question — best is subjective, and there are so many different criteria to judge a ping pong table by. Because of this, the best ping pong tables are the ones you fall in love with. The best table for you is the one that has the features and characteristics you need that sits within your budget — whether it’s a vintage table or a new one.
Remember, vintage tables are often more sustainable purchases, while newer tables are more likely to have the features you want.